Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy in Philadelphia, PA
People living in and around Bala Cynwyd and Philadelphia, PA can regain their youthful vitality, libido, and sense of well-being they seem to have lost as their hormones became imbalanced. At World Wellness Health Institute, board-certified physician Dr. Daniel Lebowitz treats patients experiencing the symptoms associated with perimenopause, menopause, and andropause with bio-identical hormone replacement therapy to help them look and feel much younger.
What are Bio-Identical Hormones?
There are over 300 functions in the body that depend on estrogen. As estrogen is depleted due to age, the body doesn’t work correctly. Bio-identical hormones are hormones used to replace those that are depleted in men and women as they age. They are structurally identical to the hormones produced in the body and can mirror the chemistry naturally occurring in the body. When this takes place, the side effects associated with “the change” greatly diminishes, making it easier to exist without any discomfort.
Bio-identical hormones are not synthetic but instead are derived from natural plants and substituted in the body for our own hormones. The idea is that the body does not know the difference between its own hormones and the bio-identical ones.
What is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is an advanced treatment where the hormones that your body needs are replaced with bio-identical hormones derived from natural sources and mirror the ones in the body. When used properly, they restore the hormonal balance in your body and increase energy and improve your mood. At World Wellness Health Institute the focus of BHRT is on determining what each patient needs and developing a treatment plan to address those needs and return the body to a normal setting. Each treatment plan uses bio-identical hormones that are the structurally identical to those naturally missing. By working with Dr. Lebowitz, you can determine which combination is the most beneficial and yields the best results.
Benefits of Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
BHRT not only balances a woman’s hormones, it helps them deal with the issues that accompany aging. This advanced therapy offers benefits such as:
- Decrease in mood swings
- Fewer and less troublesome night sweats and hot flashes
- Improved bone density
- More muscle mass
- Reduced body fat
- Improved libido
- Decreased vaginal dryness
- Less brain fog
- Better quality of life
How Is Bio-Identical Home Replacement Administered?
BHRT is administered in several ways including hormone pellets, creams/gels, pills and vaginal suppositories. The best method for receiving the therapy depends on your symptoms and hormone levels, along with the doctor’s and your preferences.
- Hormone pellets. Hormone pellets are becoming more popular with men and women. This treatment involves inserting a pellet containing a predetermined dose of hormones under the skin. The pellet is about the size and shape of a grain of rice and slowly releases the right amount of hormones to be absorbed into the blood stream. This therapy has become more popular because it is very effective at maintaining proper levels much more consistently and accurately than other methods. On top of this, the pellets last three to five months for women and four to six months for men.
- Creams or gels. BHRT is also available in creams or gels. Testosterone and estrogen are compounded to the correct dose then applied to the skin. Once applied, the cream or gel is absorbed into the skin and the bloodstream. With this form, the cream must be applied every day.
- Estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone can be administered orally with a pill; however, this is one of the least preferred methods simply because of the need to remember to take it every day. While it is effective, some of the hormones are lost through the body’s metabolism so pills may not be quite as effective as other methods.
- Sublingually. It is also possible to take estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone under the tongue (sublingually). With this way, hormones are absorbed by the mucous membranes and go directly into the blood stream. As with pills, it is essential to remember to take it as directed in order for the hormone levels to remain level.
- Vaginal rings and suppositories. Vaginal suppositories and creams are prescribed most often to women to treat dryness and discomfort during sex. Rings typically time release estrogen, which can help alleviate discomfort from other menopausal symptoms.
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Preparation
There are several steps involved in BHRT preparation. Initially, it is necessary to meet with Dr. Lebowitz to go over your medical history and current health, as well as determine your level of hormonal imbalance through blood work. Once this is done, he will make a recommendation as to the protocol he suggests.
How Much Does Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Cost?
The cost for BHRT varies with each patient depending on several variables, including the type of BHRT, the dosage and if it is combined with any other treatments. During a consultation, we can discuss the cost with you, as well as our payment options, including financing via CareCredit®. We can also help you determine whether your health insurance plan provides coverage.
Is BHRT Right for Me?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is very helpful for people who suffer from symptoms that affect their daily life. With the latest advances, there are virtually no side effects with BHRT making it very effective to use.
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Consultation
To determine if you are a candidate for BHRT, it is necessary to have a consultation with Dr. Lebowitz. During this appointment, he evaluates your current health, including blood work and medical history so that he can design the most effective BHRT treatment plan to help you get back to a normal, active life. He will also answer any questions you may have so that you are completely comfortable with your treatment plan.
*Disclaimer: Results cannot be guaranteed and may vary from person to person.
If you are bothered by any of the side effects associated with perimenopause, menopause or andropause, bio-identical hormone replacement therapy offered at World Wellness Health Institute may be the answer. Board-certified physician Dr. Daniel Lebowitz offers various treatments for hormone replacement therapy to residents in Bala Cynwyd, Philadelphia and the surrounding areas of Pennsylvania. Contact us today!
*Individual Results May Vary