Adrenal Fatigue in Philadelphia, PA
Most of us feel tired, stressed and run down at times in our lives as work, family and other responsibilities take over us. Some people experience these symptoms at extreme levels leading to adrenal fatigue. Dr. Daniel Lebowitz, a board-certified physician at World Wellness Health Institute, treats people in Bala Cynwyd and Philadelphia, PA, who suffer from adrenal fatigue and want to feel normal again.
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
The adrenal glands are situated just above the kidneys and are the glands that produce sex hormones and cortisol. The adrenal glands produce cortisol, a steroid hormone in response to stress and events or circumstances, such as waking up or exercising. It also plays a role in how the body carries out its processes and maintains homeostasis.
When functioning properly, cortisol aids the body by converting proteins into energy, releasing glycogen and responding to inflammation. The key is for the body to produce the right amount of cortisol.
Adrenal fatigue occurs when the adrenal glands do not function at optimal levels, often during and after periods of stress, as well as chronic and acute infections in the body. When it occurs, it is common for people suffering from it to be unaware of it although they are chronically tired with any amount of sleep and feel unwell or experience feelings of general and deep “blah.” Adrenal fatigue follows three stages:
Alarm Stage. During the initial stage, the body is reacting to a stimulus that causes the adrenals to produce cortisol to respond to the stressors. As the stressor continues, the beginnings of side effects may be noticed, including increase in blood pressure or blood sugar, and a weakened immune system.
Resistance Stage. At this point, the adrenals have become enlarged, and patients in this stage feel as though they have adapted to the stress and are “on fire” so to speak. They seem to handle their stressors without any issue. This stage can continue for an extended period of time depending on the level of stress.
Adrenal Exhaustion Stage. At this stage, the adrenals begin to cease function, and the immune system collapses. Symptoms, such as exhaustion to the point of not being able to get out of bed, extreme anxiety and an inability to think and process information become present.
How is Adrenal Fatigue Treated?
As a leading expert on adrenal fatigue located in the greater Philadelphia area, Dr. Daniel Lebowitz is able to perform a detailed evaluation of a patient’s medical history, lab values, and symptoms. With this information, he is able to determine if there is any dysfunction in your adrenal system and the stage at which the condition is present.
To test for adrenal fatigue, Dr. Lebowitz performs the following:
- Salivary Adrenal Function Test (AFT): This test measures levels of DHEA and cortisol during four periods of the day in order to detect any hormone imbalance. This allows him to customize an initial plan for recovery.
- AM Cortisol: This test’s objective is to determine if there is too much or too little cortisol in the morning, which indicates a hormone imbalance. Excessive levels of stress or fatigue in the morning often signal issues with cortisol levels.
- AM/PM Cortisol: Just as above, this test is done to check cortisol levels in the morning and evening.
- DHEA-S: Using saliva or blood, this tests measure the level of DHEA. DHEA, with testosterone, are key factors in muscle mass and energy. An abnormality with these is often the result when there is unexplained depression, weight gain, and cardiovascular disease.
- Salivary Hormone Profile III + AFT: With this test, the levels of estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA along with four cortisol measurements at morning, noon, evening and night are measured to detect imbalances. This is the most complete test to compare hormone levels and how they relate to symptoms of menopause, andropause, and adrenal function.
- ACTH Challenge Test: The ACTH test measures the levels of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)—a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland that, in turn, tells the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol. It is generally ordered when cortisol levels are low.
These tests allow Dr. Lebowitz to not only confirm that the adrenals are not working properly but also determine in what stage of adrenal fatigue patients fall under, which allows him to customize a plan to return balance to the adrenals and the body. Most often, functional medicine therapies are used in combination with natural bioidentical hormone therapy. Nutrition counseling, fitness, adrenal adaptogens and/or calming herbs are a focus to help release stress so that cortisol production can continue.
How Much Does Adrenal Fatigue Treatment Cost?
The cost of adrenal fatigue treatment is different for each patient depending on the stage of adrenal fatigue and the treatments used to return the hormone levels to normal. During a consultation, we can discuss the costs, as well as our payment options, which includes financing through CareCredit®.
Is Adrenal Fatigue Treatment Right for Me?
If you are under stressful circumstances, and you seem to experience any of the symptoms that accompany adrenal fatigue – complete exhaustion, unexplained weight gain, lack of energy, inability to fight infections – you may suffer from adrenal fatigue. Treating it naturally by balancing influences on the body may be right for you.
Adrenal Fatigue Consultation
During your consultation with Dr. Lebowitz, he takes time to talk with you about your symptoms and how they may affect your day-to-day life, as well as gets a full family medical history. He may also request one or several of the tests for adrenal fatigue so that he can determine if you are, in fact, suffering from this debilitating condition. At that point, the two of you will work together to create a customized treatment plan that fits your needs and helps restore balance and wellness to your body, mind, and soul.
At World Wellness Health Institute, Dr. Daniel Lebowitz customizes treatment plans for people living in Bala Cynwyd and Philadelphia, PA, and the surrounding communities, who suffer from adrenal fatigue to help them achieve a sense of balance in order to return hormone levels to a normal state. Contact us today!
*Individual Results May Vary